Power of Punctuation
Punctuation is the correct use of the various stops or marks in writing so as to make the meaning of a sentence or a passage clear.
- “I want to eat Mom”
“I want to eat, Mom”
Use a comma to save a life
An English professor wrote the words:
"A woman without her man is nothing"
on chalkboard and asked his students to punctuate it correctly.
All the males in the class wrote:
"A woman, without her man, is nothing."
All the females in the class wrote:
"A woman: without her, man is nothing."
SAVED FROM DEATH BY A COMMA!
Czarina Maria Fyodorovna once saved the life of a man by transposing a single comma in a warrant signed by her husband, Alexander III, which exiled a criminal to imprisonment and death in Siberia. On the bottom of the warrant the czar had written:
"Pardon impossible, to be sent to Siberia."
Maria Fyodorovna changed the punctuation so that her husband's instructions read:
"Pardon, impossible to be sent to Siberia."
The criminal was set free.
- Parts of Speech
- Plural Nouns
- Learn English Verbs Learn Verbs in all the three forms
- 1000 Verbs with its forms
- 200 Irregular Verbs with its forms
- Phrasal Verbs A-Z Auxiliaries
- Degree of Comparison
- The Power of Punctuation
- Punctuation Rap Learn Tenses
- Learn Verb Forms Articles Active And Passive Voice
- Common Errors in English Usage
- Academic / Business Vocabulary
- More than 1000 One Word Substitution
- Interesting Etymologies : Word Origins
- List of Abbreviations
- 4000 Most Common English Words
- British English / American English
- Common Misspelled Words
- Verbs, Nouns, Adjectives & adverbs
- English Jokes
- Do you Know?
- Important Spellings Rules
- Tongue Twisters
- English Collocations